Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Planning a trip as a Travel Writer...

I’ve been busy lately planning a month long holiday in September. Except it won’t just be a holiday. It will be my first trip as a ‘travel writer’. Not that I have any commissions lined up (yet!). It’s just that I have put myself in a mindset that I will be travelling as a writer.

No longer will I simply take off to places unknown without a list of article ideas to follow up.

No longer will I travel without notebooks, recording devices, and business cards.

No longer will I travel without first sending out numerous query letters trying to get one or two editors interested in where I am going.

I am a travel writer….

Today I sent out three query letters relating to my travels…

Tomorrow I will visit the my travel agent…

Where am I going ? Spain and New York.

I’m looking at a week in Madrid and then a week in a small village outside Madrid where I have discovered a unique activity that I feel has article potential (not to mention will be a lot of fun).

Then I’ll be off to New York for my lunch date with Wendy Perrin (consumer travel editor of Conde Nast Traveler and founder of The Perrin Post)and a chance to explore New York City.

Meanwhile, I will continue to research, plan, and scheme about ways to write and travel…

By the way, a new 'Where's Wendy?' contest is starting on June 21st...I'll be testing my knowledge again.

Maybe I can win a second lunch...

Sphere: Related Content

2 comments:

Abha Malpani said...

Hey Liz, saludos from Madrid and Written Road!

Well done on this website - I have been following it regularly.Your focus and dedication towards your goal of being a travel writer is amazing and inspiring. Everytime I read your blog I say to myself, man I need to get my act together.

Anyway, I live in Madrid, I write for Written Road and Gridskipper - and if you come to Madrid I'd love to meet up with you, if you are interested too!

I will stay tuned.

Good luck!
Abha

Liz Lewis said...

Hi Abha,

thanks for the kind words...

send me an email (kiwiwriter at xtra dot co dot nz) with your contact email and I'll let you know when and where I'll be in Madrid and hopefully we can meet up for coffee...always keen to talk with fellow writers...

Cheers,
Liz

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...