Saturday, January 13, 2007

The Luck Factor...

I spent yesterday afternoon in the most gemmelsmerch free atmosphere possible. All electronics (computer, cellphone, television, radio) were turned off. I opened all the windows and doors (yes, summer is back - sort of!!!), stretched out on the couch, and read.

Book of choice - The Luck Factor by Dr. Richard Wiseman

Successful magician turned psychologist, Dr Wiseman visited New Zealand last year, speaking at the NZ International Science Festival in Dunedin. I couldn’t make the festival, but did make note of his book. And yesterday, I managed to find time to read it.

Based on a 10 year scientific study, Dr Wiseman has determined the four basic principles that lucky people appear to utilize to create good fortune in their lives.

1: Lucky people create, notice, and act upon the chance opportunities in their life.

2: Lucky people make successful decisions by using their intuition and gut feelings.

3: Lucky people’s expectations about the future help them fulfil their dreams and ambitions.

4. Lucky people are able to transform their bad luck into good fortune.

Full of examples, questionnaires, and exercises, the book provides a guide to improving your luck factor.

I plan on using one of the suggested exercises - Visualize Good Fortune - every time I’m ready to send out a query letter. I’m going to spend a couple of minutes visualizing it’s journey from my computer to the editor’s eyes. I’m going to sit quietly and imagine the editor reading the query, liking the query, and sending back a positive response…
……

Meanwhile, I’m off to the local farmers market. I’ve been visualizing this all week. What I see is clear sunny skies, warm breeze, lots of laughter, good coffee, and plenty organic produce. Sounds like a successful day to me…

Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...