Sunday, February 24, 2008

Applying for a Paid Blogging Job...

There’s a great discussion going on over at Freelance Writing Jobs. It focuses on applying for blogging jobs. There are two points of view. The first is that of an employer, the second that of a writer.

The employer, James from Tippyleaf.com, recently posted this ad…

I sell tea at Tippyleaf.com and I need someone to write the blog. Someone with an informal, personal style that makes the blog fun to read and communicates a real love for tea (so you need to love tea – otherwise it shows). The job pays US$400 per month, for which I would like 8 posts each month, each of 250-500 words (the word count is not paramount). Topics would include tea types, tea areas of the world, tea in culture, tea paraphernalia such as biscuits etc. I can give you ideas, and you will also come up with your own. We already have a blog but it is too dry – I don’t enjoy reading it, so why would anyone else. You need to be comfortable using Wordpress and working from home. Email tippy@tippyleaf.com

Not surprisingly, he was inundated with applications (okay, I admit it, I was one of them - I love tea and thought it would be an interesting subject to write about).

Anyway, James wrote an interesting post - Things to Consider Before Applying for a Gig - yesterday offering feedback on the process. He describes what he liked about the applicants, what he didn’t like, and why he rejected applicants. Anyone considering apply for a paid blogging job should have a read. But don’t just read the post, read the almost 50 comments as well. You’ll learn a lot.

Today, blogger Jennifer Chait responded with a post of her own - My Blog Client Wish List - in which she reminds clients that it’s a two way street. Clients have needs but so do writers. It’s just a question of getting the two to balance.

Check it out.

Sphere: Related Content

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Liz, thanks for posting this! It was really interesting to read and makes me realise I should look at paid blogging gigs a whole lot more seriously.

Anonymous said...

I like tea too ... but I wonder if I could manage 8 posts a month about it, and still keep it interesting if I wasn't actually 'in the trade?'

Anonymous said...

8 posts for $400? 40 cents a word...not the worst paying gig in the world. But who got the job?

Randall Shirley, Travel Writer
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
www.RandallShirley.com

Liz Lewis said...

Hi Caitlin,

It definitely is food for thought. I've learned a lot about both sides of the issue by reading those two posts.

Keith,

Tea actually is a fascinating subject, with lots of substance and history to dig into. I think it would be fun to research and write about.

Hey, Randell,

Good question. Will keep an eye on the Tippytea blog to see what happens.


Cheers,

Liz

Anonymous said...

Hi, a good post :) I also think about getting money for running a blog as I'm a freelancer and am totally dependent on customers and their orders. I've posted a part of your post at the forum for writers here:

http://www.writersclub.net/career_as_a_free lance_writer/applying_for_a_paid_blogging_job-t135.0.html

You are welcome to post at forum anything you consider relevant.

Liz Lewis said...

Hi there, will have to check out the forum...thanks for letting us know it exists.

cheers,

liz

Liz Lewis said...

Hi there, will have to check out the forum...thanks for letting us know it exists.

cheers,

liz

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...