Friday, April 18, 2008

Guest Post Friday: Finding Your Niche by Shannon Hurst Lane..

Welcome to Guest Post Friday: Today travel writer Shannon Hurst Lane writes about Finding Your Niche. Shannon is a Traveling Mamas blogger and author of The Definitive Guide to Travel Writing.


Finding Your Niche by Shannon Hurst Lane

There are many types of travel writers out there. It is important to write about what you know. You can write about what you love to do, and if you do it often, you are already an expert. You just need to share your experience and knowledge with others.

The first step in deciding which genre you specialize is to find the kind you most enjoy. You can even become an expert on a specific area. The best place to start is your own backyard. That’s how I started. My initial articles were published in my local paper and were about weekend getaways within driving distance. Become an expert on your area and you will have set the foundation for your travel writing career.

To be successful in the travel writing industry, you need to find the place where you fit. Ask yourself the following questions and write your answer down on a sheet of paper.

Where do I travel on vacation? Do I like beaches or mountains? Domestic or international? Am I a cruise aficianado?

What activities do I like to do when I travel? Golf? Go hiking? Do I enjoy fishing? Museums? History? Adventure? Spas?

What is my age group?

Do I have children? Do they reside at home? Am I able to travel at the spur of the moment or do I need a few week’s or month’s notice?

Do I own a Recreational Vehicle(RV) or go camping often?

What is my income? Am I a luxury or budget traveler?

There are many travel writing categories or genres. The following are a few of the most popular:

Luxury
Cruises
Adventure
Student
Family
Senior
Business
Golf Getaways
Romantic
Destination Weddings
Spa
Wine and Food (Epicurean)

So if you can find your niche, you'll be able to find your way in this crazy industry of travel writing.

........

Don't forget - if you have something to say about writing, you can send it through to Guest Post Friday.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...