Friday, June 29, 2007

Timing is everything...

This post ‘Pitching is a Bitch’ over at Written Road caught my eye today.

Nicholas writes

“…I’ve this magazine on my mind the past 6 months because I really wanted to write for them. It’s a great magazine that focuses on world cuisines and often has travel related features and smaller pieces. Over the past 6 months I developed two ideas: one on native Hawaiian foods from street stalls around Oahu and another on Peruvian Ceviche and Tiradito (both a little more complex and specific, but that’s the gist of them). They both would fit in well with the magazine well and I think if I pitched the right maybe one would be accepted.”

But before he had the chance to send off the pitch he discovered…

“…that there already is a piece on Hawaiian food. It’s a bit different and more general about eating on the islands as a whole. Shit. I pick up the next issue and open the page to find a feature on Northern Peruvian cuisine.”

I just had a similar experience. I’ve been thinking, research, and planning article ideas about my trip to Spain for the past few months and have finally started to send out query letters. The first one I sent out, to the editor of the travel section of a UK newspaper, came back with the response…“sorry, Liz, we already have someone doing just this .”

Pitching really is a bitch…

But I‘ll take heart in what Nicholas concludes…

“…just have to develop the pitches for another magazine and try something else for Saveur. If I want to look on the bright side I guess I know I’m on the right track for making the magazine, but still….shit.”

Yes, I’m on the right track…

Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...