Thursday, November 23, 2006

The Mouse Potato...

Everyone has heard of the ‘couch potato’ but what about the ‘mouse potato’? I came across this term recently while reading Nora Ephron’s ‘I feel Bad About My Neck‘.
(great book of personal essays written by the woman wrote the scripts for When Harry Met Sally, Sleepless in Seattle, and You’ve got Mail)

So I did a little research and discovered that (according to Word Spy) the term mouse potato has been around for over a decade (how did I miss it?). Apparently first used in a Jargon Watch column by Gareth Branwyn (Wired magazine January 1994), it has spawn countless articles, a book (From Couch Potato to Mouse Potato by Jeff MacNelly), and ‘Are you a mouse potato?’ quizzes. I took the quiz and was relieved to discover that I was not a ‘mouse potato’. I don’t even qualify as a computer geek.

As for being a ‘couch potato’ that’s another story altogether…

Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...